On the first day of every new year, I follow a tradition.
I sit down to reflect on what the year taught me — the lessons, the memories, and the wisdom hidden in these experiences.
For years, this was an exercise I kept private, until last year when I was inspired by my dear friend and educator Deepak Ramola to start sharing this publicly.
2020 was an emotional roller coaster right till the very end. As I flip through my journal, I realize the extent to which it challenged me.
And in doing so, it gave me the courage to discover not just what I wanted, but also what I really needed.
This is my attempt to capture 12 such reflections that I want to hold on to as we enter this new year and a new decade.
2020 you taught me that…
- Acknowledging that you’re feeling HELPLESS is an act of bravery. The journey of acceptance and letting go starts with this courageous act.
- It’s the space INSIDE your head that helps you create the space OUTSIDE. When you feel like you’re gasping for breath — declutter both spaces ruthlessly to find your center.
- DEATH is an amazing friend — it reminds you of what really, truly, deeply matters. The question is, will you let this inevitable friend guide you?
- Your FAMILY is the invisibility cloak that you were gifted to live a magical life. Wear your love for them on your sleeve.
- PATIENCE is the bridge that connects your bold vision with your consistent actions. Hop, skip but definitely don’t jump off this bridge.
- Who you are becoming is never directly correlated with what you have. What you are EARNING is never directly correlated with what you are LEARNING.
- When the road ahead feels unclear, put your HEART in the driver’s seat. And let your MIND follow along.
- Don’t let RESULTS overtake your DREAMS.
Don’t let PROJECTS outgrow your PEOPLE.
- Unconditional LOVE manifests itself in different forms. Receive it with open arms and then share it freely and fully, without holding back.
- When you STAND OUT, you give someone else permission to FIT IN. Stand out more often, but don’t be afraid to fit in from time to time.
- Life is a cycle of SEASONS. Know which season you are in right now and accept it gracefully. Everything needs time and space to bloom.
- HOPE is the trump card you hold in the game of life. Hold on to it for as long as you can because it can make all the difference.
I wish each and every one of you a 2021 filled with joy, hope, new beginnings, surreal endings, deep breaths, crazy adventures, and moments that remain etched in your mind’s eye.
May the force be with you!